Saturday, October 22, 2011

Day 22: Beignets

Some of you may be wondering what in the world this is, and I'm glad, because you are about to be introduced to one of the best forms of breakfast foods ever.  Okay, so maybe not ever, but these are really good.  My first experience with beignets (which is pronounced, 'ben-yay'), was at the airport in New Orleans while waiting to get on a flight to Honduras, about 15 years ago.  We couldn't get enough of them!  Fast forward a few years to my second year of marriage when my husband I discovered a great quick way to make them (that's what I'll share below).  Then, when we lived in Monterey, we were introduced to a little cafe located on a walking/biking trail near our home, that served beignets for breakfast.  We regularly found an excuse to take a walk on Saturday mornings so we could enjoy some of these yummy treats.



A few weeks ago I was grocery shopping at Publix and discovered that they sell beignet mix!!  Once I told my husband I was ordered asked to purchase some ASAP.  Yesterday morning we mixed some up and they were delicious!

Now, for those of you who may be gasping at the fact that me, writer of 'Only From Scratch' bought a box mix, you will be pleased to know that I do not make EVERYTHING from scratch.  There is usually at least one box of mac & cheese in my pantry, and occasionally I make cakes from a box.  Until this morning I had never even checked into a beignet recipe, but there are some, so maybe next time I'll try that.

If you're looking for a great breakfast treat, or even a fun family night dessert, these would be perfect!  All you need is this:



and some water, oil and confectioner's sugar.  Just follow the directions on the back of the box (or use this recipe).

Combine mix and water.



Roll out to 1/8-inch thickness.



Cut into small squares.



Fry in oil at 370F until puffy and golden.





Remove from oil and drain on paper towel.



Shake generously with powdered sugar.



Eat.

Have a wonderful weekend!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh I love beignet!! My dad used to make it all the time for breakfast! SO good - like a funnel cake, but acceptable to eat for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to come over! I love beignet!

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Well went on a missions trip to New Orleans several years ago and they ate at the Cafe Du Monde! We have a mug at the office with that same picture from the box on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably not a good idea to be looking at these on a very empty stomach but if you insist I will oblige!!
    These look ridiculously great! And of course they are dietic, right? LOL....When we were in New Orleans a few years ago, we enjoyed them fresh every morning..they were incredible!!

    Stop doing an amazing giveaway for a piece of furniture from Safavieh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I've always wanted to try beignets! They look so good! That's my kind of breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!