Friday, October 28, 2011

Day 28: Homemade Cake Doughnuts



I'm a Krispy Kreme fan, myself, but I do love a good cake doughnut.  Whenever we move to a new place one of our first tasks is to scout out the doughnut situation, hoping to find a mom and pop joint that's been around for years.  So far we haven't found one here, but there is not a lack of Krispy Kreme, and there are even a few Dunkin Donuts around.

My husband grew up overseas where you couldn't just stop by a doughnut shop, so his mom made doughnuts for them.  He's begged me since we've been married to make them, and last year I finally gave it a try.  I was surprised at how relatively easy it is!  The only trouble, I see, is using so much oil to cook them in, which makes the house smell for a day or so.  BUT, I recently discovered (and I'm probably behind the times on this) that they make doughnut molds so that you can bake doughnuts!  This is going on my Christmas list, although I'm a bit skeptical that they will taste as good.

If you're looking for something fun to make for breakfast this weekend, this might be a great try.  This recipe is a classic from Better Homes and Gardens, so you can count on it being tried and true.

Homemade Cake Doughnuts

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
4 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup sugar
vegetable oil for frying

In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.  Set aside.  In a large bowl combine eggs and sugar, beating until thick.  Combine milk and melted butter; pour into sugar mixture.  Using a wooden spoon, add the flour mixture to ingredients in large bowl and mix until combined.  Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.  The dough will still be sticky.



Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface.  Roll (or pat) to 1/2-inch thickness.

Cut with a floured 2 1/2-inch cutter.  Use a 1 1/4-inch cutter to cut out the center.  (I used a glass turned upside down for the large circle, and then cut out the center with a knife.  Improvise here).




Fry about 3 doughnuts at a time in hot oil (it should be at 375F) for 2 1/2 - 5 minutes, flipping once, until golden brown.  Drain on paper towels.


I used a candy thermometer to keep the oil at the right temp.
Coat warm doughnuts in cinnamon/sugar mixture or powdered sugar.  Makes about 15 doughnuts and doughnut holes.





source: Better Homes and Gardens

5 comments:

  1. These look amazing! I want to make them sometime!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good, doubt I will take the time to make them, but I would buy them if you sold them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if I had enough eggs..I would so make these tonight. I am craving something sugary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely pinned this. :) now...if only i hadn't read it while eating cereal...because my cereal seems pretty blah now. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look awesome, Im making them in the am ;)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!