Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Paula Deen's Lemon Bars



When I returned home after being gone for 2 weeks, it was nice to have several magazines to look through.  I received a subscription to Food Network for my birthday, and I am loving it.  Their magazine has such a great balance of easy to make dishes and some that require a little extra time and not-so-on-hand ingredients; I love the combo of both.


Paula Deen has a recipe in this month's edition {which I noticed is still on the magazine racks in the stores if you want to pick up a copy} of her lemon bars.  I've been a sucker for pretty much anything citrus during the past few months, so I knew I wanted to make this one.  Lemon bars that I've tried in the past have been way too powerful on the lemon flavor for me, but this recipe has the perfect balance.

I'd recommend using your fingers, as the recipe calls for, instead of a pastry blender for cutting in the butter in the crust.  You'll enjoy being able to lick, or um, clean, your fingers when that step is finished.  The sweet buttery goodness is oh, so delicious.


If you're looking for a fairly quick and light dessert, this one is perfect.  I like what Paula said in the magazine and it's wonderfully true, "I love making these because you don't even have to pull out a mixer."  Thanks, Paula, for making it easy on us.

Paula Deen's Lemon Bars

For the crust:
2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into pieces and at room temperature {plus more for the dish}
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup confectioner's sugar, plus more for dusting
Pinch of salt

For the filling:
4 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice {from about 2 lemons}

Preheat oven to 350F.  Line a 9x13-inch baking dish with aluminum foil and butter the foil.

Make the crust:  whisk the flour, confectioners' sugar and salt in a large bowl.  Cut in the butter with your fingers to make a crumbly dough; press into the prepared baking dish.  Bake 20 minutes, then transfer to a rack and let cool slightly.

Meanwhile, make the filling:  mix the eggs, sugar and flour in a bowl with a fork.  Mix in the lemon juice.  Pour the filling over the crust and bake 25 more minutes; transfer to a rack and let cool completely.  Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.  Lift out of the pan and cut into pieces.

source:  Food Network, May 2013

Linking to:

Home Stories A2Z

3 comments:

  1. These were so delicious!! Thanks for sharing them with us :) And I agree, it is nice to make something without the mixer sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it is an easy recipe. If you overcook it a bit though, you get a crispy top. I think that is from using flour in the recipe. I am going to try a recipe where cornstarch is used to thicken it instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowie! Made these today and neighbourhood kids came back to beg for more. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!