Friday, November 22, 2013

Sausage Stuffing Recipe, the Best Stuffing You'll Ever Eat



Thanksgiving is less than a week away!  I can't even believe it!  If you're looking for some last minute recipes to add to your menu, you'll definitely want to include this one.  Just be sure to buy an extra pound of butter; you'll need 3/4 of a pound for this recipe alone!

Four years ago we spent Thanksgiving with my husband's sister and her family in Las Vegas.  We were living in Monterey at the time, so we decided to make the 8 hour drive and it was totally worth it.  Isabella was almost one, and I was about 34 weeks pregnant with Mallory.  We had a great time with them, seeing their new home, visiting some of the sights downtown and being together.

At the Bellagio
My sister-in-law made this awesome stuffing for our Thanksgiving meal and I've made it every year since.  I'm a big fan of stuffing, so when I say this is the best stuffing ever, I mean it.  I think my younger sister might even be okay with it instead of the Stove Top variety, which is saying a lot for her! {By the way, head over to her blog for a great Sweet Potato Casserole recipe}.

Be sure to start on this the day before your feast, as the bread needs to sit out overnight.  I like to sit on the couch while I rip up bread the night before; it's much more comfortable and you can enjoy your friends and family at the same time.

Sausage Stuffing

2 loaves of bread, torn up and set out overnight {I used French bread loaves purchased the day before}
1.5 pounds sage sausage
3 sticks butter, unsalted
1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1 Tablespoon salt
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion

Brown sausage in a large skillet, until no longer pink.  Place on a paper towel lined plate to absorb the grease.  Melt butter in a large skillet with poultry seasoning, salt, celery and onion.  Cook until onions are soft.  Place the sausage in the pan and mix well.

Using a large bowl or pot, mix the sausage mixture with the bread.  Then, add 1/4-1/2 cups of water until all the bread is moist.  Place in a greased pan, cover with foil and bake at 450F until the bread starts to slightly brown, stirring every so often.  Add water if it needs more moisture.

Be sure to see this post about a new Etsy shop that recently opened and the verse print they made for me!

1 comment:

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!