Monday, May 12, 2014

Life at 10 Months & A little word on Wisdom





This little girl's life is going by way too fast!  I can't believe she's already 10 months old!

Although a surprise baby, one that brought me lots of fears, this precious girl has been a tremendous blessing to our family.  She and Mason are best friends, partners in crime, and constantly learning from each other.  More and more we feel like we have a set of twins, which I've always wanted.  I just didn't think it would come in the way that it has.

Having a child with Down Syndrome has certainly changed us in many ways.  Mason's development has been delayed, and we had forgotten the 'normal' patterns of development in children.  Jennavieve has started doing things that Mason just recently learned, even though they are 15 months apart.  We often look at Jennavieve, then at each other, shake our heads and say, "One chromosome makes such a difference."

Sometimes I grow sad when I see how quickly Jennavieve is catching up to Mason, but lately I've been excited.  They are having fun together and I really think Jennavieve is going to push Mason throughout his life to excel.

God's ways are certainly higher than ours.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bradley and I are heading away for a few days together.  (Thank you to Bradley's parents for watching our children!! And, to the Lord for beautifully working this out).  We have countless decisions to make in the coming weeks, and time alone together will hopefully lend itself to much conversation.  And sleep.  And quiet.  And doing whatever we want.   I would be lying if I said that I'm not looking forward to being away.  And, I really hope that I'll be ready to come back home.

The decisions that are facing us have been weighing heavily on my heart.  And I know I'm not alone in that.  We all face decisions every day, 'big' ones and even day-to-day ones.  It can be overwhelming and confusing, especially when the perfect answer to decisions isn't coming to us.

I picked up a book by Kevin DeYoung yesterday, Just DO Something, and appreciated what he had to say about wisdom:

"After you've prayed and studied and sought advice, make a decision and don't hyper-spiritualize it.  Do what seems best.  Sometimes you won't have time to pray and read and seek counsel for a month.  That's why the way of wisdom is about more than getting a decisive word about one or two big decisions in life.  The way of wisdom is a way of life.  And when it's a way of life, you are freer than you realize.  If you are drinking deeply of godliness in the Word and from others and in your prayer life, then you'll probably make God-honoring decisions.  In fact, if you are a person of prayer, full of regular good counsel from others, and steeped in the truth of the Word, you should begin to make many important decisions instinctively, and some of them even quickly.  For most Christians, agonizing over decisions is the only sure thing we know to do, the only thing that feels safe and truly spiritual.  But sometimes, often times actually, it's okay to just decide."  (p.96-97)


I'm not going to unpack that, because it's pretty plain and simple.  I hope it's encouraging to you as it was to me, in the decisions that you might be facing.

From Proverbs 6:

Call out for insight.
Seek wisdom like silver.
Search for it like hidden treasure.

"then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.  For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding..."  (Proverbs 2:5-6)

Let's walk in God's wisdom today.

1 comment:

  1. What a great quote from Kevin DeYoung! Thank you for sharing. It certainly applies to my life right now as well. Have a wonderful and restorative time away.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!