Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Snack for School :: Baked Granola Bars{Nut and Dairy Free}




Back in April we had the privilege of meeting some dear friends for a trip to the zoo.  When Bradley and I were first married and living in PA, we were blessed to be part of a small group of young couples.  I'm forever grateful for this group of friends!  One of the couples is now working with a church plant in Charlotte, NC, and when we were in GA, meeting at the zoo was a halfway point for us, so we got the kiddos together and enjoyed walking around and catching up on life and ministry.  

My friend made some delicious snacks that day, and I haven't stopped hearing about them ever since.  Last week she emailed me for our new address and Bradley replied that he would give it to her only if she gave us the recipe for the granola bars.  Then, he told me to make them the next day.  True story. 

Keep these in an airtight container; ours stayed good for a week, and everyone loved them. 

Baked Granola Bars {Nut and Dairy Free}

4 cups old fashioned oats
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut {I used sweetened}
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup chocolate chips, mini ones are best
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil {I used vegetable, and it worked fine}
1 teaspoon vanilla, the real kind
1/2 cup honey

Preheat oven to 325F.  Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  In a separate bowl combine wet ingredients.  Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until well combined.  

Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper or grease well.  Press mixture into pan.  Bake 25-30 minutes.  25 will produce a more chewy granola bar, 30 minutes will produce a more firm bar.  Cool completely before slicing.  

source:  a dear friend






2 comments:

  1. these look delicious!! caleb eats granola bars ALL of the time so i'd like to have a go-to homemade recipe. do you think i could sub regular flour for the whole wheat?? i don't have any whole wheat flour (i know i know, shame on me!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think all-purpose would work fine. I also have another recipe that I'll be sharing next week, a chewy granola bar one, packed with protein! They're so easy to make!

      Delete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!